After leaving millions of customers agitated over its technically fault, mobile network operator O2 has finally restored its services.
O2’s network blackout on Thursday left customers, unable to send messages or access the internet.
Apps such as Google maps over the mobile network were also lost whiles some customers also reported smartphone payments were interrupted. Electronic bus timetable updates on London bus shelters also failed.
Voice calls continued operating initially. However as more phone owners resorted to making calls rather than sending emails, customers found the system straining under pressure.
Customers in East Kilbride and Kirkcaldy, Scotland, Brampton in Cumbria and Leeds reported that, they were unable to use their phones without being connected to Wifi networks.
The first reports of a loss of access to 4G data services on the mobile network appeared on social media at 4.50am.
25million customers signed to the O2 network, plus another 7million with Tesco Mobile, Sky Mobile, GiffGaff and Lycamobile, were affected.
On Thursday, some people were also unable to monitor serious medical conditions.
However, O2 has said it is services have been restored across the country although some customers told the network provider they still cannot make calls or texts.
O2 blames software systems operated by the Swedish tech giant Ericsson as part of a global failure that also hit Japan.
Although customers have described how they lost income because of the outage, O2 has not disclosed if customers will be compensated or not.
O2 said 3G data service had started returning and was expected to be fully restored by 9.30pm, while the company reported at 3.30am on Friday that the 4G network had been restored.
The company said it would be closely monitoring data services over the coming days and promised to carry out a review to understand what went wrong.